SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#356586 - 12/13/12 08:49 AM Assessing one's "brain power"....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The older I get, the more I believe that most people have the same amount of "brain power"...it's just apportioned differently.

I excel in complex, abstract concepts, but fail completely at detailed, "left brained" linear activities. I have three advanced degrees, but couldn't repair a gutter or do any repair on motor vehicles.

I have no sense of direction (get lost all the time; even in familiar areas), can 't repair ANYTHING (I break everything I touch), and the only current sports figure I can name is the Manning guy who did so well on Saturday Night Live.

I "tear up" complex film scores, national level SPSS and SAS perception research, top end graphic design, but am baffled at and don't want to spend time learning more about computers or any device that needs to be programmed (that makes me a real fossil).

I'm a good player, but have no aptitude for entertaining.

I guess the life lesson here is, realize that everyone's brain works differently, and don't try to excel at something that takes different natural "brain power" than you have.

My two sons score similarly on all standard tests. One scores higher on the "left-brained" area (eg. math and physice), and excels at detail and complex linear tasks....not a creative bone in his body. Son # 2 is like the old man...a bit of a flake, but very good at egghead intellectual activities (conceptualizing film storyboards, coming up with a concept for a film score, etc.). He scores highest in the English, philosophy, politics, etc.). Their combined scores are usually within 10 points of each other, and they're different as night and day.

I've learned to accept my limitations and concentrate on the things I'm best at.

One reason (other than the little girls) I have continued to perform for way over 50 years (the girls aren't NEARLY as important as they used to be) is, I don't feel guilty getting paid to do something I'm good at and hiring people to do what I'm not good at.

What about you?

Russ (right brained dude) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (12/13/12 08:54 AM)

#356637 - 12/14/12 11:33 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: Russ
I've learned to accept my limitations and concentrate on the things I'm best at.

That about sums it up for me too.

By the time we figure out what we're good at, something new and different comes along to challenge and keep the 'brain' healthy.
Never stop trying to learn something new, it's good for ya.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#356638 - 12/14/12 12:23 PM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
...I've learned to accept my limitations and concentrate on the things I'm best at. ... I don't feel guilty getting paid to do something I'm good at and hiring people to do what I'm not good at.
What about you?

Russ (right brained dude) Lay

Similarly, I would rather pay someone to do stuff I really don't WANT to do, even if I CAN do it ... I have a brother-in-law who is retired and LOVES to do 'projects' around the house - re-do a bathroom whether it needs it or not, etc. ...I would rather play a gig and use that money to pay someone to even paint a room - even though I've done that many times and pretty well, if I say so myself - ... I really enjoy working outside the house - gardening, clean up, etc. but the final cleanup of the Fall I hire someone to do ... again, I'd rather use the gig money to pay for that and play a round of golf while it is being done grin ...
It's all a matter of priorities ...

#356668 - 12/15/12 05:54 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
I have two left brains or two right brains; but i am not sure - they're not talking! Lol.

Allan

#356688 - 12/15/12 01:10 PM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: tassiespirit]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Allan, from an academic prospective, THAT'S REALLY FUNNY!

Conflicts between messages from the right and left sides of brains is a big area of egghead research!

R.

#356811 - 12/18/12 12:10 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
When playing keyboard both of my hands want to lead....lol

Allan taz

#356819 - 12/18/12 01:10 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Apparently If this Lady spins clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa. The article said that most people see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

All my brain says is "she's not wearing any clothes' only joking wink She starts off clockwise for me, but I can make spin the other way if I want.

Attachments
Spinning-lady-5693171.gif

#358157 - 01/07/13 05:45 PM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
TWD.

I think it's just an optical illusion, and has nothing to do with a left/right brain, but then again we are in the 'bar', and one too many beers can make the whole room spin. smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358213 - 01/08/13 09:24 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: lahawk]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I see her spinning clockwise, can't reverse that in my head, and is a bit chilly..

#358287 - 01/08/13 08:00 PM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

Thing is, can she spin 'em in different directions at the same time?:)

#358309 - 01/09/13 01:09 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: 124]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Thing is, can she spin 'em in different directions at the same time?:)

Yep sure thing .. if 2 people are watching her spin in different directions.

#358311 - 01/09/13 01:12 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: sparky589]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: sparky589
I see her spinning clockwise, can't reverse that in my head, and is a bit chilly..

If I stare at her leg crossing over rather than her upper body I find it easy to change direction. I can make her not spin around completely but just alternately spin to the left then right then back again.

#358348 - 01/09/13 09:17 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
If I were a defense lawyer, I'd use that to refute eye-witness testimony, ie. "sir, was my client turning to the left or the right when he alledgedly shot his wife in the butt? Sir, are you absolutely sure?".

Might work.

chas

#358354 - 01/09/13 11:52 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

LOL! Most of the gals I see around have big enough butts on 'em that you couldn't miss from 100 yards no matter which way they were spinning.

#358355 - 01/09/13 11:56 AM Re: Assessing one's "brain power".... [Re: Nigel]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: sparky589

If I stare at her leg crossing over rather than her upper body I find it easy to change direction. I can make her not spin around completely but just alternately spin to the left then right then back again.

Damn, that worked for me, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online